I love love love music and could not make it through a day without my tunes. It’s the first thing I do when I get ready in the mornings and one of the last things I do at night. Music, music, and more music. It keeps me going throughout the day, whether it’s checking emails, working out, or writing blog posts. It all goes better and faster with a beat in the background.
Music became a life force for me at a very early age. Back then I had big plans to be in a rock band and marry Elton John (long before I knew what “in the closet” meant). Have you ever heard a song that immediately launches you back to a memory or place? Every time I hear You Can’t Always Get What You Want (Rolling Stones), I always think of the funeral scene in the movie The Big Chill.
If your life is without music, I strongly suggest you try listening to more of it for your own good health. It’s actually been scientifically proven that music boosts creativity, increases productivity, reduces stress, depression, and anxiety. It also improves cognitive function and can ease pain, among other things. And running a business has its pains, right?
Classic rock is my favorite, but I also like to listen to country, blue grass, soul, and BBQ blues. Any kind of music can change your mood in an instant and make you smile. And those are just a couple of the added benefits. So for fun, below is a short list of favorites from our solopreneur clients. Add a few of these songs to your morning playlist and watch what happens.
- Johnny Paycheck – Take This Job And Shove It. You’re a business owner for a reason, and that reason is likely because you just weren’t fulfilled by a “job.” This one’s a classic and totally worth a listen if you haven’t heard it in a while.
- Alan Jackson, Jimmy Buffett – It’s Five O’ Clock Somewhere. We’ve all been there. ‘Nuff said.
- April Wine – I Like to Rock. Ever feel the need to just rock out? April Wine does too. Props to them for paying homage to the Beatles and Rolling Stones at the end of this tune.
- Deep Purple — Knocking at Your Back Door. Motivational hard rock at its best. Thrill of the chase and all that.
- Ralph Stanley – Man of Constant Sorrow. This is a catchy song for a bad day. (It’s such a great tune that Bob Dylan, the Stanley Brothers and Soggy Bottom Boys recorded their own versions.)
- AC/DC – It’s a Long Way to the Top if You Wanna Rock and Roll Heck, yes. It’s a long and twisty road, and a worthwhile one. Rock on!
- Doc Watson – Deep River Blues. A toe tapper. Enjoy the greatest flat picker ever.
- Boondocks – Little Big Town. If anyone has ever doubted you because of where you come from, you’ll love this one. Be proud, smile and crank it up.
I could really go on and on — and easily list ninety-two more — but the VAs cut me off at eight to keep me on task (really, only eight?). Anyway, if you have more to add to this list, drop me a note. The VAs and I would love to hear what your favorites are.
Thanks for reading.
Until next time,